[pp.int.general] PPI GA 2013 - Call for Hosts

Travis McCrea me at travismccrea.com
Sun Dec 9 11:47:01 CET 2012

To be honest, I thought she was joking -- considering how absurd the
statement was. I am not proposing a limitation on free speech, people
are free to talk about what they would like to. I am proposing the
option that people step back, look at the big picture, and decide if
they really want to keep having /this/ discussion when there are other
things that are happening in the world and in the Pirate movement which
might actually happen.

Seattle was asking for information about hosting a GA. That is true, but
I don't feel that their party will /actually/ put in a bid, and with my
knowledge of their party it would be my recommendation to the board to
not host the GA there. (Just being transparent with my decision making).

Now, that being said, a conversation that is a little more relevant and
carries on from what you guys were talking about -- would be "is it
wrong for PPI to have it's next GA outside of Europe?"

Many of you disagree, but I feel that we should hold our next GA
somewhere outside of Europe because this is an international movement.
If we held a meeting in Brazil, Canada, New Zealand, or Australia it
would bring a lot of local attention to those Pirate Parties. It would
also give them a chance to participate in a GA, meeting people that we
are normally isolated from.

This is not PPEU, this is PPI. To say that we should not hold meetings
out side of Europe is disrespectful to the other members who put just as
much time, money, and energy into their parties as you do.

Hugo POINTILLART wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In his defense, Travis didn't say that the discussion was
> "redundant" but hypothetical since there is no US hosting proposal
> yet (or am i misinformed?). I do agree with him, as i don't think it
> is relevant to discuss if a host should or not be selected as he has
> not made a proposal yet (but that's just my opinion).
>
> In my opinion, activism (or not) of the local parties (the
> "pro-europe" argument) should NOT be a criteria for selecting the
> next host but rather the amount of work put in by the team to prepare
> and organize the event (letter of support, accomodation and other
> logistical issues). Otherwise, i do think we are doomed to have
> regular and infinite discussions about Est versus West or Americas
> versus Europe or other non productive debate that i don't think lead
> anywhere. I do think that an "online" (or several) meeting should be
> a good addendum to the "face to face" (or call it what you want)
> General Assembly, as it would allow more countries to participate
> efficiently at a reasonable cost (as it has been pointed out earlier
> in this thread).
>
> Piratement
>
> Tywin (PPFR)
>
> Le 9 déc. 12 à 01:37, Amelia Andersdotter a écrit :
>
>> Pe 08.12.2012 19:29, Travis McCrea a scris:
> As I said at the beginning of this thread: There are really no states
> in the US which are developed enough to host a GA anyway. Not now at
> least.
>
> So us debating if we would or wouldn't go to the US is pointless.
>>>
>>> i strongly object to the limitation of freedom of speech proposed
>>> in the above email, merely on the basis that the ensuing
>>> discussion would be redundant.
>>>
>>> we are pirates!
>>>
>>> /a

- -- Respectfully,
> Travis McCrea Captain, United States Pirate Party International
> Coordinator, Pirate Party of Canada Chief Administrative Officer,
> Pirate Parties International
>
> http://travismccrea.com http://twitter.com/teamcoltra
> http://fb.me/teamcoltra
>
> 1(778)709-4859 Canada 1(206)552-8728 United States

- --