[pp.int.general] Why the situation in Italy is different and why it matters for #ppint

carlo von lynX lynX at pirate.my.buttharp.org
Sat Dec 22 22:17:56 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 10:32:56AM -0500, Lindsay-Anne Brunner wrote:
> Listen, it seems like every other week there's a damned problem with i
> Pirati Italiani. It's becoming quite ridiculous that these internal

In some countries the Pirates are well-affirmed and there cannot be any
issues with people trying to steal our identity and "brand" to go vote
shopping.

In some countries the Pirates are of no major relevance, so there is
not such a big interest in taking over our brand.

In Italy we are somewhere between 1-3% in surveys, elections are in
February and there are all kinds of crooks and strange folks trying to
get a hold on the brand because they all love an easy passage into
parliament. Since what's in the electoral programme is not of any
relevance really, they gladly copy & paste from the original, and
whatever may be criticizable about the PP-IT will gladly be amplified
no matter if there's any relation to truth or reality to it.

And since the worldwide Pirate movement should not afford losing Italy
as a partner country, #ppint should be worried and get its act together
in support. You are welcome to send in observers and learn about our
democratic process and how it is possible that new admissions to the
party become opinion leaders within months if they say intelligent
things and reflect the consensus of the majority.

The idea that the old folks are still in charge is plain wrong. And
since we went from 15 to 300 in a year I also wouldn't say we're not
letting people in. We sure aren't efficient at it and that's mostly
because a membership administration software was promised to us and
we've been waiting for it for almost a year. That was probably our
biggest mistake this year, we should have hacked it up in perl and
not be perfectionists.