[pp.int.general] ACTA and European parliament Spam filter

mattias.bjarnemalm at piratpartiet.se mattias.bjarnemalm at piratpartiet.se
Wed Feb 15 14:37:48 CET 2012

Dear all

It has come to our attention via twitter that there seems to be some
rumors that the European parliament automatically sends Acta related mails
to the spam bin. As me and Amelia is on the inside she suggested that I'd
let you all know that this is not true.

The mail that get sent to the MEPs are handled in microsoft outlook and
the control over the spam filter in outloook is entirely in the hand of the
individual MEP. The default setting for the spam filter is "low" and in
that setting roughly somewhat less than 10% of the acta related emails that
was sent to Amelias account got sent to the spam bin. Those mails were all
identical and sent more or les at the same time which i probably why the
spam filter reacted.

So, to sum it up: with the default settings a tiny minority of the
acta-related emails got sent to the spam bin. The control of the spam
filter is in the hand of the individual MEP. If you take the time to
actually write the email yourself and adressing the individual MEP instead
of mass sending emails to all MEPs at the same time your email do not risk
being stuck in the spam filter at all regardless of the topic.

Feel free to spread this information to anywone who've expressed concerns
regarding the spam filters in the parliament.

Best regards

Mab