[pp.int.general] MegaUpload raided, shut down on request of US authorities

José Manuel Goig hosemanuelgoc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 09:17:24 CET 2012

First, let me say that what's legal or illigal is arbitrary. It depends on
the legislator and their interests.

Second, I have this doubt about Megaupload. Did they load the copyrighted
material themselves or just offered a paid hosting space so users could
load whatever they wanted to share? For if it is this second option, then
Google, Dropbox and all the companies that operate in "the cloud" should
start to get worry.

What I see here is a government paid by the big audiovisual corporations
that has acted to protect their economic interests. And a government that
is used to menace the rest of the world to get what they want.

I think we should focus on that.

It could have been TPB instead of Megaupload, or another. But the coup of
effect is done. The matter about copyright is just the excuse.

José Manuel Goig
@jmgoig
A Catalan and Spanish pirate