[pp.int.general] Towards a secure eDemocracy platform based on Web service standards

Pat Maechler aka Valio pirate at valio.ch
Thu Jul 12 17:15:57 CEST 2012

> Thus, even if the voting prorgam
> is somehow proved correct, that doesn't mean the system is safe.

Of course not.
There is nothing "100% secure-proofed" in a world where we can't even
decide if we're living in the matrix.
I'm positive that there are possibilities to implement an electronic voting
system that is about as good as real life voting, both for non-anonymous
votes (rather trivial) as for anonymous voting (not that trivial, e.g. see
[0] [1] [2] [2a] [3] [4] ).
The main questions are IMO not of ICT nature (meaning: hardware, operating
system, software, architecture, network, etc) ; the easiest attack point
for manipulation of both RL and electronic anonymous voting will be IMO
lilely always (or at least for the next decades) be related social
engineering, which are rather questions of psycho-sociological nature.

On another note, as I said: The paper presented in the first post from 2005
of this thread misses references to IMO crucial related work (some are
linked in this mail), which I would expect from a good academic paper. This
is may be related due to fact that the paper is from 2005 and more recent
work has been done by the electronig voting research community (e.g. see
the references in this mail) but which did not recite this work.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-to-end_auditable_voting_systems
[1] http://mkorman.org/acsac.pdf ADDER system paper, University of
Connecticut
[2] http://static.usenix.org/events/sec08/tech/full_papers/adida/adida.pdf
Helios
system paper, Harvard University
[2a] http://heliosvoting.org/ Helios system website
[3] http://projects.piratenpartei.ch/projects/pi-vote/files PP-CH
electronic voting solution based on [1]
[4] https://github.com/piratepartyca/Stenobot PP-CA simple electronic
voting solution that returns a hash of each vote to the voter

regards
-pat