[pp.int.general] Towards a secure eDemocracy platform based on Web service standards

Andy Halsall a.halsall at pirateparty.org.uk
Fri Jul 13 12:48:02 CEST 2012

On Friday 13 July 2012 01:19:45 Richard Stallman wrote:
>     There is nothing "100% secure-proofed" in a world where we can't even
>     decide if we're living in the matrix.
>
> The question is not whether it is "100% secure-proofed".
> The question is whether it is grossly rotten or not.
>
> For traditional voting systems, we have some idea of how
> vulnerable they are -- from simple experience.  For new proposed
> computerized systems, we don't have experience to go by.
> They are surely less than 100% reliable, but are they
> less than 10% reliable?  We don't know, and actually using
> them gives us little information, since we cannot check
> the official results they give.

For me it has always been a question as to the benefits of computerised voting.

What problems are we trying to solve? Participation? Speed of getting a result?

> --
> Dr Richard Stallman
> President, Free Software Foundation
> 51 Franklin St
> Boston MA 02110
> USA
> www.fsf.org  www.gnu.org
> Skype: No way! That's nonfree (freedom-denying) software.
>   Use Ekiga or an ordinary phone call

Andy Halsall
Campaigns Officer
Pirate Party UK
+44 (0) 7505111705

For more information on the Pirate Party UK, please visit our website at
http://www.pirateparty.org.uk.  If you wish to receive regular press
statements from the Party (or no longer wish to receive them) please email the
Press Office at press at pirateparty.org.uk.  The Pirate Party UK is a political
party registered at 11, 45 Streatham Hill, London, SW2 4TS, United Kingdom.