[pp.int.general] Global heating: 2 degrees of heating is 16 years away

Gijs Overvliet govervliet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 19:02:39 CEST 2012

At the end of the day, the climate debate will force me, as a citizen, to
change my life. Before I accept that, I should be convinced that whatever
measures are taken are the best for me personally. And yes, in that respect
I am a selfish bastard.

When the pirates address this issue, I as a pirate will be required to
defend that issue. Which, at present, I can not.

The best way to convince me is to debate Christopher Monckton and win (or
have the scientists debate him). And don't start with "Christopher Monckton
is just...", because that is character assassination, which is a logical
fallacy and therefore an invalid argument. Besides, if he is a nutcase, the
debate should be won quite easily. Also, the before mentioned "99% of the
scientists agree" is an appeal to authority, which is also a logical
fallacy and therefore invalid. "Let's not fiddle...", the debate will
probably require a few weeks to set up, from the skeptics side, so no harm
there. And it will give some nice talking points, which could be used to
form the official Pirate viewpoint.

When Christopher Monckton has been defeated in debate (and I don't care who
defeats him, just as long as the topic is climate change), I will believe
the climate change story again. But until then, I think the "fossil fuel
burning -> CO2 -> climate change -> end of the world" story should be
avoided.

Gijs