[pp.int.general] Global heating: 2 degrees of heating is 16 years away

Kenneth Peiruza kenneth at pirata.cat
Sat Jul 28 18:07:35 CEST 2012

Al 28/07/12 10:04, En/na Maxime Rouquet ha escrit:
> On 07/25/2012 10:15 AM, Kenneth Peiruza wrote:
>> About geothermal, well, looks great, however Swiss gov. Auhorized a
>> company to do ao, and the experiment got cancelled after more tan 400+
>> earthquakes affeced all the villages in the surrounding area. Iceland is
>> successful in it's usage, but they don't need to dig 1km to use it, so
>> leave geothermal for places with active volcanos, something we miss in
>> most EU zones and even countries...
> By geothermal energy I also speak about installations you can put at one
> or two meter deep in your garden/field/other that can use the difference
> of temperature between ground and air to heat your house/farm/other.
That is micro-geothermal, not geothermal. It's not my fault if you don't
explain properly well.

BTW, that is a SMALL part of a global thing called "sustainable
architecture" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_architecture )
. Double-glass, gas/foam inside of walls, natural light efficiency,
natural ventilation.

Quotation: " The most important and cost effective
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost-effectiveness> element of an
efficient heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HVAC> system is a well insulated building
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_insulation>."

I miss the point of geothermal there...

> If you have places with volcanic activity, you can dig deeper with a
> very high efficiency. Such geothermal energy would probably be workable
> and powerful everywhere there is a volcano nearby. It is the case on
> most islands (in France we have a dozen of overseas territories of that
> kind), but there is a wide range of intermediate installations possible.
As I told you, digging around volcanic areas can easily cause loads of
earthquakes, as already demonstrated in Switzerland and New Zealand.
Looks like Hawai is having problems as well...

BTW, geothermal plants cause CO2 & CH4 (methane) emissions, H2S (acid
rain) and ammonia (NH3). The water used there is rich in heavy metals
(mercurium and so), and might be processed & reused to avoid toxic
waste, and so and so and so....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_electricity#Environmental_impact

Do you want a private company to operate such a toxic environment for
their economic profit????
> Geothermal energy is not a unique magic solution, but that does not mean
> you should trash everything about it in two sentences like this.

Your solution isn't cheaper than wind power and can't be used in most
countries  ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source
) and has plenty of well known backside effects...

Ok, it took me 10 minutes to demonstrate how was your point, with