[pp.int.general] The right to protest

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sat Jun 30 18:10:05 CEST 2012

In Putin's case, when he persecutes dissidents with absurd pretexts,
he does not expect anyone to be fooled.  They are meant to deliver a
message to the public: "I'm a tyrant and I want everyone to know it.
Don't even imagine for a minute that anyone has any rights in Russia."

The US is not at that point yet.  It doesn't want to be recognized as
tyranny.  So it uses different pretexts for its attacks on democracy,
pretexts intended to fool people.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation