[pp.int.general] Pirate Parties International Conference Kazan 2013

Simon Frew simon.frew at pirateparty.org.au
Tue Apr 2 21:48:45 CEST 2013

>Jelena said:

>It was not a junket. it was good opportunity for networking. And there is
less trolling and hate speech when you meet someone face 2 face.

That's good if you can afford it, none of our members seem to have the
spare funds to travel to Russia for a two day meeting, and we can't afford
to fund them out of our limited budget.

>I think conference few should be much lower for remote participants. Or it
should be no fee at all.

Those of us attending as remote delegates cannot register to attend.
Leaving us to wonder, will there even be remote delegates this year? Will
it be any better than previous years?

I think I speak for many non-European parties when I say we are looking for
reassurance and evidence that we wont get screwed over and left out yet
again. If this years GA is as farcical as the last two, the organisation
will start to crumble.

*>PPI has no budget,* and I as a board member didn't use any money so far.
Even for runnign FB campaign resources (maybe) could be given from PP DE.
>When I realized it I gave up making a project proposal and going trough
bureaucracy for little campaign
>(managing FB ads from Serbia is cheaper than in other countries, ofc
talking about price per click / per 1000 views)

I think you can get campaigns off the ground through posting ideas on this
list and involving the various national Parties if the ideas are good.

>PPI board members, as far as I know, will go to Kazan from their own money
too. PPI has no budget even to send board to PPI conference.
>And I agree it is not cheap even when you are flying from Europe, I
calculated costs of flight ticket and hotel and it was cca 1.000 eur (~
1.200 AU dollars), from the Balkans.

Surely remote participation would be more important than ever, yet despite
repeated efforts through multiple channels we cannot get a response
reassuring people who can't attend in person that they will be able to
participate and that remote delegates will be taken seriously.

What does the Board want the money for? How much does it want?

We are reluctant to give money to an organisation that we feel effectively
excluded from, with no idea what it will do. The trust we have in the PPI,
if you can't tell is basically non-existant at the moment. The Co-Chair
publicly attacking us for not wanting to spend thousands of dollars to go
to Russia doesn't exactly give us confidence any money that goes to PPI
will be used wisely.

Mab wrote:

>The Swedish Pirate Party has since the start used a forum platform for our
general assemblies. Over the years we have developed
>quite a few fetures to make it more suitable for online assemlies. They
are entirely text based and nowadays spans 6 weeks so that
>people can attend regardless of when they have the time to be online. Any
single round of voting spans at least 24 hours to facilitate
>that everyone can vote.

This sounds like the exact sort of thing that is needed for PPI.

Regards

Simon