[pp.int.general] Separation of Powers as a minimum PP requirement

Nicolás Reynolds fauno at kiwwwi.com.ar
Wed Aug 21 14:50:42 CEST 2013

carlo von lynX <lynX at pirate.my.buttharp.org> writes:

> Whenever I talk to German Pirates about the idea of doing a
> political party without an effective separation of powers
> they quite naturally tell me it cannot work. In fact in
> Germany it's the law prescribing that parties need to have
> seperated legislative, executive and judicial powers.
>
> Somewhere some Pirates instead think that this seperation
> of powers thing is old-fashioned and an expression of the
> "system" as we know it.
>
> This is a valuable rebellious way to see it, but the visible
> consequence of this is that some verbally powerful people
> dominate the social habitat, while others, who feel unjustily
> treated or merely observe the behaviour of the ones in power,
> quickly steer away from participating and contributing to a
> common project. Thus, an actual political party never is
> formed. I could say, it remains the playground of a handful
> of bullies, but luckily I haven't seen any Pirate Party in
> such bad conditions. I am just theorising that it could end
> up that way.
>
> I am thus wondering if proper Seperation of Powers should be
> a criterion for full members of the PPI. A decision of this
> kind on international level would probably catalise the
> necessary reforms to make some PP's more functional than
> they currently are. I think there was some decision about
> requiring proper internal democracy in PP's, but does that
> imply a Separation of Powers?
>
> Just wondering if I am hitting a nail on the head or if I am
> just trolling without knowing myself.

we consider all pirates in a position of power a delegate of the
pirates assembly, who can revoke them at will.  they also must leave
their place to others in one to two years.  revocability and rotation
are two conditions for delegation P)

this is common in all assembly movements i know of.

we extended this to pirates elected for government positions too!  we
have some ideas on how this may work irl though.

--
http://endefensadelsl.org