[pp.int.general] free software video streaming

Maxime Rouquet maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
Sat Feb 16 00:30:04 CET 2013

On 02/15/2013 09:14 PM, Davidd van Deijk wrote:
> By protesting against having your speech put on youtube, even though
> valiant, you might decrease freedom around the world. After all it is
> not the people that already run free software exclusively that we are
> trying to convince. It is the ones that do not.

We want people not to rely on Youtube, Megaupload, or any other large
corporation. We want them to be independent and free. Violating our
values would not be a good first step to spread them.

There are tools for that, that are called "peer-to-peer". But the
copyright monopoly pretends tools such as torrents are bad, because some
of their uses violate their copyright rules.

Well, we both want to soften these rules and promote all lawful usages
of peer-to-peer. We want to support and help develop end-to-end Internet.

Sharing this video in a free format with a torrent will be a very good
way of showing people how to lawfully share files one with each other
without relying on any kind of intermediary.

Encouraging people to use free software, and avoiding to expose them to
nonfree software, is based on the same kind of principles.

Regards,

PS : Travis McCrea wrote an e-mail that Richard Stallman replied to, but
this e-mail has probably been moderated/stopped by the mailing-list.