[pp.int.general] Transparency in the party

carlo von lynX lynX at pirate.my.buttharp.org
Wed Feb 27 13:01:15 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 11:56:52AM +0100, Dario wrote:
> It is impossible to keep a clean debate on Twitter. Too much short to do
> meaningful statements, too much lack of structure to follow properly a
> conversation. The opposite is true, mailing lists then to long debates,
> with too much long texts, etc. We need to find a middle ground.

+1 ___ i'm in favour of a lqfb + mumble approach. pin down the concrete
positions and facts in liquid, then have a virtual beer conversation
by teleconference to avoid the debate from getting misunderstood,
avoid paranoia and hatred to rise.

> Also, I don't believe almost everyone on PP-DE uses Twitter and discuss
> everything there. I guess the most important (and delicate) issues are
> dealt in mailing lists, etherpads or even wiki's discussions.

you're right. it's the most extrovert ones, be it in-crowd and/or trolls,
that populate twitter. they're not representative of the party but they
are seen the most both by media and by the board which is put unter
terrible pressure by every painful remark that goes about retweeted.

it's an impossibility in theory of democracy for a representative, be it
the board or a parlamentarian, to do it *right* for everyone. that's why
we turned to liquid democracy in the first place, so that the party can
develop coherent positions and the board has clear guidelines to follow.

the board should cut down on listening to single party members and teach
them to express their will by liquid democracy. many trolls are totally
unaware that their positions are far away from common ground - a liquid
reality check tells them so, indicating them to stop making all that
noise, whereas good points make it through the procedure and get to the
people who are currently executing the will.

IMHO introducing https://lqfb.piratenpartei.de/lf/area/show/16.html was
the best idea they had in a long time. they should make all non-urgent
communication/decision-making pass this liquid democratic channel, and
by teaching all pirates to participate in it, it also becomes more and
more representative.