[pp.int.general] Basic income - how does that fit into the pirate ideology?

Zbigniew Łukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 17:15:23 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Betiel <betielix at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/7/12 Zbigniew Łukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com>
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Betiel <betielix at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > What`s the matter if it is leftist or not? The question must be if it
>> > will
>> > be usefull and solve people problems or not. Or if basic incomes should
>> > be
>> > addressed by pirates parties or not. If you see it as a kind of human
>> > right
>> > I believe is a valid pirate topic.
>> >
>> > In Argentina we actually have basic income by law. It would be crazy to
>> > try
>> > to change that, except perhaps to ask for a change in the mount due to
>> > inflation, so we really do not have discussions about it.
>>
>> Hmm - I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing - I have
>> not heard about any country implementing the 'unconditional basic
>> income' - or in other words 'citizen salary'.
>

> I hope the other message I`ve send explains it better.

Yes.  I would argue that minimum wage
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage) is very different from
basic income (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income).

Minimum wage is raising the bar for employment - some people say that
it does not create unemployment but we can easily imagine minimum wage
so high that it would, and if it is low enough - then perhaps it is
not needed at all.  By being conditional it also adds complexity to
the state - while basic income fulfills the humanitarian need -
perhaps even better than minimum wage, because it covers all cases:
the unemployed, the sick, etc. - without adding complexity.

Z.