[pp.int.general] Basic income - how does that fit into the pirate ideology?

Zbigniew Łukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 22:31:43 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:15 PM,  <illunatic at greenpirate.org> wrote:
> Instead of imposing it as a platform, a given party should get an idea of
> whether people in their country support basic income. Get the public
> discussion going before coming to a conclusion one way or the other. If that
> is what your people want, especially party members and supporters, then that
> is a good time for party leaders to talk about making it a platform.
>
> Consider the the following:
> - Is there adequate awareness and open discussion of this issue in your
> country?
> - Do current members of your party support this?
> - Do enough citizens in your nation support this position that it would
> increase overall support for your party?
>
> If the answer is none/not much/not many, it may not be a good time to firmly
> embrace this as a platform. The exception to this, of course, is if you run
> a very authoritarian party in which you are prepared to dictate and proceed
> with any given platform, regardless of what your peers think.

Oh - discussion is fine with me and I fully support the democratic
process you describe - but at some point we need to come out with a
platform common to all the pirate parties.  So far what we have on
that platform is just the name - but that is not enough to have any
coherent movement.  I am testing where there can be some kind of
consensus at least between the people on this list.  That consensus
does not need to be perfect in everything - but at least most of us
need to agree on every point and no one should disagree on more than a
couple of points.  And those points also need to be meaningful as a
political program - that is they need to be something that there are
people that disagree with them - they need to be divisible - otherwise
we should not call ourselves the pirate parties but maybe the human
parties or something.

Z.