[pp.int.general] Basic income - how does that fit into the pirate ideology?

illunatic at greenpirate.org illunatic at greenpirate.org
Sun Jul 14 01:29:40 CEST 2013

Ok, let's look at some successful examples of basic income. People who
live in Alaska get a certain amount of money each year to allow oil
companies to drill there. This is called the Alaska Permanent Fund. It
is an oil-wealth trust fund where a portion of state royalties from
the North Slope oil fields is used to pay citizens. In 2012, each
citizen got $878. The amount has been on the decline since 2006 which
was $2,069. Is this what was meant by citing Alaska as an example of
basic income? It's not really so much that somebody could live on it
for a year, but maybe if they had access to more oil that could improve.

Yes, all Arab Emirates nationals can have access to free education,
housing, health care and other subsidized benefits. Again, this is
afforded by oil money. It's also a burden of their economy's back that
75% of the population are foreigners who are essentially modern day
slaves with no labor rights. If we build a system based on profiting
from natural resources and exploiting laborers, I think basic income
could become a realistically viable solution.

What other funding sources can we come up with so that we may all have
our basic needs met without lifting a finger? We could make
prostitution more widely available. Not officially legal, but keep it
on the down-low. That is bound to be a lucrative industry and attract
tourism. Don't get me wrong. This would only be officially sanctioned
prostitution. Small time competitors would be shut down as they do in
Dubai.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/16/dubai-sex-tourism-prostitution

So to recap our funding sources for the basic income plan: Oil, lack
of labor rights and a rise in prostitution are proven methods for
funding a sort of "basic income" model. Does anybody else have any
examples of a basic income model with a viable funding source?