[pp.int.general] Basic income - how does that fit into the pirate ideology?

Dario dario at pirata.cat
Tue Jul 16 17:50:11 CEST 2013

2013/7/16 Antonio Garcia <ningunotro at hotmail.com>

> If the problem is way too uneven distribution, the solution is not to
> simply mandate even distribution... the effort has to be done to analyse
> why some insist in accumulating way beyond what at first sight should
> constitute a fair share.

Maybe I got it wrong, correct me if so, but... Isn't this obvious? Some
humans are greedy, as Jack said. Only a cultural shift and solidarity-based
values can change this.

Even in that case, there will be people thinking: "Hey, why I can't have
more? Because they told me so? Fuck'em all!"

By other hand, any objective policy will need measurements to set what is a
"fair share" and who exceeds this metric. This can get very totalitarian
(somebody controls what you have).

Ok, you can go the opposite way, throttling what people get but it looks to
me as communism. Or you can go down the taxes' road which I think it is
what you have in your mind.

Anyway, all these options are costly due red-tape.

PS: Will change my mind for facts.

2013/7/16 Zbigniew Łukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com>

> Most of the voices here were in favour of Basic Income.  The general
> public is probably much more reserved about it.
>
> We are a group selected for our attitude towards copyright, patents
> and privacy reforms - now we see that we share more than that.  Why is
> that?  What is the thing that links these subjects?

Good question. I think the link is sharing as core concept. We want better
(and weaker or even no) copyright and patents system to freely share
knowledge (for community's good) and privacy reform to freely share ideas,
opinions, etc. without surveillance.

Our natural next step is to apply this to different aspects of our life.
UBI is related to sharing (and solidarity). It is one way (not the only
one) to achieve new levels of freedom, allowing new ways to work, as we
already know in free software and libre culture movements.

--
Dario Castañé
Pirates de Catalunya http://pirata.cat