[pp.int.general] Formal complaint about the administration/moderation of PPI mailing lists

Josef Ohlsson Collentine international at piratpartiet.se
Fri Jun 14 23:32:39 CEST 2013

It's hard to make a "formal complaint" about an informal mail list. As far
as I'm aware PPI has nothing to do with the moderation of this list. It was
an international list set up many years ago (I believe before or just when
PPI was created) by PPSE. Thus it's hosted by PPSE and currently the list
is run by rick at piratpartiet.se, richie at
webhackande.se<pp.international.general-owner at lists.pirateweb.net>

Thus it probably makes more sense complaining directly to them. I know in
the past there's been a big "no-moderation at all costs" approach on this
list but I agree with Kenneth that some is needed. I'm still on list
because there's no other place and sometimes the things discussed are
interesting even if it's rare.

There are way too many personal attacks, repeated discussions and one word
discussion and obliterates a lot of the interesting conversations. With the
negative atmosphere on this list there are many people that avoid
discussing here because they know that it will seldom lead to a good
constructive conversation. If the persons responsible for running this list
don't act by changing something I suggest that people interested in
constructive conversations move to another place. Would prefer that we all
stayed here and just changed the rules on the list though.

One alternative is trying to make http://www.reddit.com/r/PirateParty/ into
a place to discuss international pirate news. Another is opening up a new
mail-list with rules for keeping down the noise and keeping the quality of
conversations up. If there is an interest and nothing happens to this list
Pirate Times might do a new mail-list to discuss the news we post as well
as other topics that might become future news.

Suggested moderation for posts:
* personal attacks
* one word responses (adds nothing but noise to conversations)
* off-topic replies (start a new thread instead)
* repeated issues (no point discussing the same thing twice if no new info
has come to light)
* (any others?)

-> people breaking these rules can be warned first and then set on
mod-status and admins need to approve each message by them or just kicked
off list if they continuously break rules.

Kindly,
Josef

p.s. these are my personal opinions and do not reflect PPSE or Pirate Times.