[pp.int.general] germany election

carlo von lynX lynX at pirate.my.buttharp.org
Tue Sep 24 18:09:49 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 05:28:50PM +0200, Anton Nordenfur wrote:
> "if you don't count the people who voted first time" is a horribly big
> "if". Don't overanalyse things and try to find the worst in the results,

considering that at some point in time about a 10% of the german
population was willing to give some new folks a chance, it really
doesn't matter if we ended up 0.2% above or below the previous
result. it's a terrible crash in any case.

i spent some time collecting all the criticism and analysis,
especially from the press, and looking at possible solutions
to the mess.. (in german of course:)
    https://wiki.piratenpartei.de/Wahlen/Bund/2013/Analyse

i'll translate the rough topics:

- promise of digital participation
  (failure to introduce a permanent assembly)
- discipline & fairness (measures to stop twitter shitstorms
  and suboptimal interaction with the press)
- networking (ability to mobilize supporters and members)
- handling of the nsa scandal situation (journalists didn't
  like us bashing the government about it)
- better legitimation of the board
- sorting out priorities in political issues (hello cal!)
- definition of transparency and "social liberal"
- communicate parliamentary work getting done
- less folklore
- strategy concerning faces in public
- presence on the streets between elections
- dealing with false news stories

you may find some of them familiar. note that most of these
points were brought up by *outside observers(!)* writing for
spiegel, heise and especially golem.

the good news is, there are ideas out there to handle each
of the problems. all it takes is the political will and
consensus to take action soon enough to save our europe
2014 campaign.

in fact, if we want to get going on a european scale, the
german pirate party must get back on its feet in no time
and make positive international press headlines before the
year is thru.

i firmly believe we can get back on track if the will to
learn the lessons from the analysis exists. actually we
could take everyone by surprise.