[pp.int.general] Liquid Democracy - a summary attempt

carlo von lynX lynX at pirate.my.buttharp.org
Mon Apr 28 22:06:32 CEST 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 04:30:01PM -0300, seykron wrote:
> So I think we have a different faiths. You still believe that a
> representative democracy could work (and you identify the core problem

Hmmm... no, I don't believe in representative democracy. I'm a fervent
opponent of both representative and direct democracy. Both have failed
humanity on numerous occasions. When was the last time you read about
the common set of political demands of the worldwide Occupy movement?
Where is the program that describes how the Occupy movement thinks
the world economy can be fixed? Occupy practices direct democracy on
a local level and has no way to produce common resolutions on a
national, continental or worldwide scale. In fact after few weeks it
already drove away the majority of interested people, so it quickly
became the playground of the dominant extroverts. We saw a few of those
on television - they weren't even intelligent. I sympathise with Occupy.
I even co-managed the Berlin side of the 15th of something event. That
single day in history when the 99% was Occupy. But that was it, a flash
in the pan. I am glad the Pirate movement has achieved so much more.
Less media, less percentages, but actual content. And a vision.

> as corruption). You think people just need to understand from the
> comfort of their chairs that they can make a difference by
> participating in an online platform.

Are you alluding to LQFB? That is by far no representative democracy.
And it worked. The results were a lot better than any editorial approach
could have generated, even if all editors had no bias and no agenda.
And it's not a problem if only a small percentage of population actually
participates. It still means that tens of thousands are working out
solutions the world is facing instead of just the hundreds you have in
well equipped parliaments.