[pp.int.general] Invitation PPI Conference Paris 12th/13th of April

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 16:00:45 CET 2014

On 3/28/2014 8:25 AM, Marco Confalonieri wrote:
> Il 28/03/2014 12:50, Thijs Markus ha scritto:
>>
>> No offence, but looking at this, wouldn't it be more appropriate to
>> reschedule this GA in some 6 weeks, so it can be done properly? If
>> only because at this point only there is only one known candidate, and
>> I'd like far more than an odd week to inform myself about the
>> alternatives.
>>

> That would be inconvenient. Some people already bought tickets since the
> dates and location of the next PPI General Assembly have been available
> on the PPI wiki for months.

Which brings on to another point. how did you know that was going to be
the date? It was set for next weekend initially, and then changed a few
months back. Until we have an announcement, how are we to know if it's
set in stone THIS TIME?

What would your feelings be if you'd bought your tickets based on what
it said 5 months ago, and now found out it'd changed?

And let me just read you the PPI board minutes this year on this event.
January 7: "We need to start planning soon."
January 21 "Thomas shall contact PP-FR about the current planning on the
french side. We didn't receive any updates since the last meeting."

Feb 18, a big lot including (and I want to highlight these lines):
Members should be asked for board candidatures
Deadline for Statutes Amendments: 14th of March
Deadline for Membership Applications 14th of March
To-Do: Send out a reminder for the deadlines to the members (Thomas)

This was not done.

Transparency isn't about hiding some stuff on a wiki page. Things like
this are not something we need to keep checking a page 'just in case'
there's an update. It is the most absolute BASIC thing that
notifications like this are to be made AS ANNOUNCEMENTS. Not left to
hope that someone will find it, as you apparently did. Especially as
until Tuesday, the content on it was almost entirely unchanged from
August, except that the date listed was changed in mid december
(http://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=PPI_Conference_2014&diff=prev&oldid=361427)

And when did you buy your tickets, if I might ask?

Since until Tuesday, the content there predates when the Board says it
was 'planning', I doubt many people put much credence into it. Thus if
you bought your tickets before Tuesday, you did so on the strength of
what most would consider questionable (9-month old and untouched in the
main) information, and that has an associated risk. You were also not
invited at that time, as the invitation only came at 2240UTC last night.
If it were AFTER Gregory started to update the wiki on Tuesday, then you
should already have known it was too late, and that there had been no
announcement (since it is listed clearly 'in the statutes' and they're
listed 'in the wiki', where their existence is both known and
unchanging), which is essentially the argument you're giving why we
should have known.

Does that seem right?

It's great you got your tickets early, and probably got them for cheaper
than they would be now, right? We all would like that, and that's why we
expect that when everything is sorted, announcements will be made, so we
can make plans with more confidence than a months-old wikipage.

Andrew