[pp.int.general] Invitation PPI Conference Paris 12th/13th of April

Nuno Cardoso nuno.cardoso at pp-international.net
Fri Mar 28 19:43:00 CET 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:55 PM, Andrew Norton <ktetch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just as a point of order, isn't this a bit late?
>
> Statutes say"
> (Statute IX(7) Meetings of the General Assembly will be announced at
> least five weeks prior to the meeting. The invitation will be sent out
> by the Board to all Members and published on the homepage of Pirate
> Parties International website."
>
> it's now just over TWO, not 5.

FYI:

"announcement" was made months ago when Paris was chosen, and you can track
the full history of that "announcement" as it is "published on the homepage
of Pirate Parties International website" here:
http://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=PPI_Conference_2014&action=history

Furthermore, unlike you, I'm not a native English speaker but I still know
that the meaning of "invitation"
(1<http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/invitation>,
2 <http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/invitation>)
differs from that of "announcement"
(1<http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/announcement>,
2<http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/announcement>),
and the former one ("invitation") really has no associated time schedule.

If you are not happy with the wording of that paragraph and find it of
ambiguous interpretation, the statutes XIVa(6) say you can ask the "Court
of Arbitration" who "may answer the preliminary questions of the organs and
 individuals about the interpretation of the Statutes" but be advised
that "such
answers act through their persuasiveness only", so ultimately you can have
a member file a statute amendment proposal to a wording that is less
confusing to you.

Now that the issue is clarified I'l refrain from reading the rest of the
thread since I can read on the pirate map that "here be trolls mateys"

Pirate regards,
Nuno