[pp.int.general] Don't you think we should stand up and actually do something?

seykron seykron at partidopirata.com.ar
Wed Mar 11 13:26:21 CET 2015

> > We as the european pirates can't disappear and every 5 years
> > suddenly appear 3 months before EU elections and say "vote for
> > us!"
> > Who's with me?
>
> Sure, I see your point. I think your actions to call MEPs and write
> them e-mails are great! More Pirates should do this locally, and
> perhaps as social events!!! :-)

+1

I think there are an internal and a external political aspect here: from
inside the pirate parties it would be good to encourage participation
in order to strengthen relationships within the organization. For
instance, we organize small events like cryptoparties and we participate
in events at universities regarding pirate topics (free software, open
government, free culture). It is great to organically make growth the
organization (remember, elections do not provide you organic
engagement).

Beyond elections, there are a lot of political spaces to get involved
in politics. As Amelia remarked about telecoms competition, look at
your neighborhood and you'll find the problems that are not addressed
by institutions. Here we took the decision to do not participate in
elections, but we do participate in public discussions about topics on
the public agenda. We also get involved with local neighborhood
assemblies and different social movements that are committed with
different problems. We put the body there and we try to have an
overview of "what's happening out there in our community right now" as
well.

I personally support the motion "pirates might be behind a keyboard or
might be not, but we sure are beyond any political system because we
actually DO things".

Keep going on your actions, they're great!

Matías