[pp.int.general] Don't you think we should stand up and actually do something?

Thomas Blechschmidt thomas.blechschmidt at piratenpartei-bayern.de
Wed Mar 11 20:35:35 CET 2015

OK, Markus,

THX for that answer. I pick that up, because in my eyes it shows, that we
have a problem in common:

We are focused on topics. That is a fact in Germania as well as in Bavaria.
Why is that a problem?

Because topics are Challenges and not solutions. So, if a heterogenic group
of persons take care about a political topic and they do not have a at least
pretty similar interpretation of political items, values, philosophies, or
let us say the basics, and they bring in the political culture and the
socially programmed behavior of their personality, that means they all will
work on the same topic with different methods and will expect everybody else
to do that in the same way.

Will that work? I doubt it.

And here I see the first issue for PPi to do. Create a common identity among
international pirates. Kick out anything, what does not have a significant
acceptance. Take care that tools are not going to be rotten by personal
conflicts.

The personal affectivity of any member in a political group, willing to make
a change, is absolutely not of interest. The challenge is to run into a hard
work process to find out, what the members have in common and to take
consequences, if one realizes, that he does not fit in the group or the
group does not fit for him.

The missionary attitude to persuade other people about one's own ideology is
a dead end. It leads to nowhere. In the best case it brings up the idea to
turn around and set one's own ideology on the street to find an new, common
ideology among pirates.

The error begins, when ideology becomes dogmatic. To do everything by a
certain "Book of rules" shows the mentality of a follower. It is one thing
to neglect leadership and to live a pretty anarchic political life, but the
consequence is, that there will be no evolution. Followers don't walk
straight ahead and don't lead people. The secret ist, to balance out
leadership with obeying without blaming followers or leaders.

What I tried to make clear: Before we go to take care about political
topics, we should find out, which emotional, intellectual, philosophical and
political basics we share. Because that is, what unites us. Common topics
don't do that.

Take an example on Varoufakis blog about his interpretation of his
selfdescription as radical and abnormous Marxist. And crosscheck the
reaction on this especially on German language blogs. If Varoufakis is a
Marxist, I'm the pope. Really.

But he shows a reflection on Marxism, not even similar to Marxism. He really
locates the basic political issues "Liberty" (as a value) and "rationality"
(as criteria for legitimacy) in Marxism and the Marxism itself as ideology
of the political "Leftists". That makes me think, that he either does not
know, that "Liberty" as a value is the central basic value of Liberalism,
expressed an well articulated in John Lockes oeuvre and "rationality" as
criteria for legitimacy is central item of the "époque of enlightenment",
when Rousseau and Descartes described their view of a democratic society,
Newton, Lasalle, Hume and Voltaire worked on their scientific and poetic
fields to explain the world besides simple believing in God and his
creativity.

I wonder whether we find that common ideological basis. The experience here
in Bavaria and Germany shows, that it is not possible to form a powerful and
creative movement just along common topics. Especially we pirates should be
aware, that topics are no intellectual property. Because we know. That
intellectual property in reality does not exist. The only thing, that might
have a right to exist, is that the developer of an idea benefits from it
during his lifetime. And this only can rely on settled law. After his death,
this right extinct. There is no reason for prolongation, neither for his
children nor for any company.

OK, enough for today. Let's see, if something comes out of this. As pirates
we can create a international movement, and we can create a international
party as well. With direct, physical members. We do not have to arrange an
organization according to national laws just because no international
parliament exists.

regards

Thomas