[pp.int.general] Communication Plan

Muriel Rovira Esteva muriel at pirata.cat
Fri Aug 19 14:40:52 CEST 2016

Hi,

Just a few comments.

1) You can't know whether you reached consensus among the members of a
mailing list just by looking at what is being said in the mailing list.
That would be assuming that everyone in it is saying what they think all
the time, and that is not so, most of the time people that read the
discussion prefer to keep their opinion for themselves. You need another
tool for that.

You also need a bunch of (boring) clear criteria to determine when a
decision has been reached (a timely announcement that something is going to
be decided, the different options, when is the deadline to state your
opinion, through which medium, etc).

I've seen people make this mistake (assuming that no discussion means
consensus) many many times: heated discussion finally dies out because the
loudest people come to an agreement or get tired of discussing, but when a
vote is opened up thinking that now everyone agrees, most often than not,
that is not the case and there are surprises with the results.

2) >> Science has no place in politics. <<

Well, I think that's certainly not the point of view of most European
Pirate Parties. I've seen consistently included in most of their programmes
statements claiming that policies should be evidence-driven, i.e, based on
scientific arguments.

3) You don't have to moderate all messages beforehand in order to have an
effectively moderated list. You just need a set of clear rules and a
moderator that reminds those who are not following them that they should,
and that when someone doesn't give a shit and keeps on, that he or she puts
only that member under moderation for a preestablished amount of time
(which for example could be one week or one month, depending on whether
it's the first time or not).

That's much less work than moderating all messages right from the start and
forever, and yields a more fluid communication for all. I've found that the
simple fact of having a moderated list makes people take much more care of
how they say things, so that in the end it rarely has to be moderated.

Greetings,

           Muriel