[pp.int.general] My thoughts at present

Paul Tidwell pmtidwell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 00:21:46 CEST 2016

I am enjoying your owning of Milton Friedman and the neoliberal ideologues.
In particular because I signed up For Grantcoin and am already receiving it
but i'm trying to figure out how to get it set up and people talk about how
a UBI would be inflationary and would "erase" all the benefits via the
inflation mechanism but this is a really  really dumb view of economics.
One of the key problems I have with Econ right now is most of the market
that's out there as well as voting public still essentially believes that
Currency derives it's value from it's scarcity as a currency and that's the
only thing that generates the actual value of the currency itself.  So
essentially the Quantity theory money is getting in the way and since most
of the public uncritically accepting the quantity theory of money they're
voting as if it's true.  But there's a lot of Data out there now that such
that it's not true and while there are some correlations between an
expanding money supply and inflationary forces it's not proportional  so if
Scarcity of the money were only thing driving it's value it would
necessarily have to be porportional inflation but all the empirical data
now shows that it isn't so there is only one logical conclusion available
to the scientific method which is that there has to be a variable that's
been excluded in that view. Quantity of money doesn't determine it's value
alone.

http://socialdemocracy21stcentury.blogspot.com/2010/07/quantity-theory-of-money-critique.html

Meaning it's possible to expand the money supply without devaluing the
currency by as much as you expanded it.

But I would go further in that the "neoliberal" view that you're
criticizing here:  http://my.pages.de/outcomunisten

It basically says that it would "Delete the benefit to the poor" by causing
inflation which seems to be what Milton Friedman's calculations suggest
that on balance inflation would end up yielding no benefit to the poor
because prices would just rise proportional to the unconditional money that
was now in the system.

1. It's already in the system now. And in particular Cryptocurrency has a
way of interacting with the main economy, It may take a few hoops to jump
through but grantcoin and other cryptocurrencies can eventually be
exchanged back into the dollar. So we already have ONE cryptocurrency
offering a universal basic income and there will probably be more to come
over time.

2. It treats inflation as the biggest enemy in society and to the economy
and to the market which ??? Why?  People say inflation hurts the poor but
the people saying this are ignoring the fact that it hurts the Banks and
Creditors far more. People who LEND money are harmed FAR more by it because
it screws up their  returns by insuring that what their loans get paid back
with is now worth less.

3. Inflation isn't the biggest problem out there.   In fact right now it
isn't much of a problem at all. Unemployment as well as underemployment and
employees who are overqualified for their positions are a mcuh bigger
problem at present.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 1:16 PM, carlo von lynX <lynX at pirate.my.buttharp.org