[pp.int.general] PP.se EP-status

Carlos Ayala aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Tue Dec 9 11:51:05 CET 2008

De: Per von Zweigbergk <per.von.zweigbergk at piratpartiet.se>
Enviado: martes, 9 de diciembre, 2008 10:38:01
9 dec 2008 kl. 10.20 skrev Carlos Ayala:
> > I have one doubt: if 100 out of 8000 members attended the on-line meeting, I guess you have some sort of
> > delegated vote -i.e., some, most or all members attending the on-line meeting would have acted as
> > delegates, and non-attending members would have been allowed to delegate their vote to any of those
> > delegates-, am I right?
> No, this is not the system used. One PP member, one vote. The fact that only a small amount of members
> exercised their right to vote doesn't change that.

Well, delegated vote, as long as it becomes voluntary, actually is also one person, one vote; we talked about it in Berlin last January -about Liquid Democracy-, the only difference for that person is having to decide whether to cast the vote personally, or allowing another person to cast the vote on behalf; and that delegation can be revoked at any time -if you disagree on how the delegate represented you in last session/meeting/assembly, you are up to choose another one or rather try to represent yourself-.

I don't know if you have supermajorities and/or quorum for some specific inner issues -like changing your inner rules, etc-; if you have them, and you don't have LD-like delegation system, you may be in trouble to get the ballots valid. Even having LD-like delegation system, you may have troubles -we in PIRATA once had to summon an additional National Assembly to get some issues voted, as in the previous one not enough members attended or delegated their votes to reach quorum-; without it, that 100 out of 8000 members would be very troublesome, even impossible.

However, if you don't have supermajorities and/or quorum, then of course you don't need LD-like delegation, or any other alternatives. Regards,

                                                                            Carlos Ayala
                                                                            ( Aiarakoa )

                                                   Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman

P.S.: Actually is quite interesting to compare how things work in each pirate party. As Jens and Ole pointed out, for future PPI decisions we should review our decision-making procedures -including voting systems-; for that goal, sharing knowledge about our inner decision-making procedures would may be quite useful -maybe, creating a wiki page in which each representative explains how things are done in each pirate party-.