[pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Thu Dec 25 23:46:29 CET 2008

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gagis
  To: Pirate Parties International -- General Talk
  Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2008 11:06 PM
  Subject: Re: [pp.int.general] where is the manifesto?

  Guys guys.

  Stallman is right once again.

  Let us see what we are doing here: We are planning to CHANGE things.

  No law, setting, definition or human way of thinking is a law of nature or an unbreakable axiom. Let us look at what we WANT from all this, which is obviously to abolish both previous and current restriction on information sharing. Useless wordplay and non-constructive arguments are not necessary here.

  Well, there is the "axiom" or a reliable government. In simple terms: one can expect a government to keep its promises. But one can not always expect the government to make certain promises, even if it did in the past. In other words: a government can not expropriate existing copyrights (subjective rights, related to specific words). But a government can change future copyrights. Even though some people believe it is a "natural" right or even a "human" right. That's simple: human rights that stop after 70 years are no human rights!

  If something is wrong, we try to change it, that is all we need.

  Th fact of the matter is that copyright, patent law, trademark law etc. are pretty much constrained by various treaties. If we do not just want to complain (that is easy ...), but really want to achieve something, we should look for the holes in the system. Fundamental changes aren't impossible but take (much) more time. Bu there are holes!

  At the same time, "legal logic" is often invented just with the purpose of protecting certain trade interests. With the copyright levies debate this was VERY obvious: laguishing record companies were pretty explicit that they wanted their share from the prosperous electronics industry.

  reinier