[pp.int.general] Pirate Manifesto: Finally, amendments showdown

Carlos Ayala aiarakoa at yahoo.es
Thu Nov 13 11:25:16 CET 2008

De: Jens Seipenbusch <seipenbusch at web.de>
Enviado: jueves, 13 de noviembre, 2008 10:42:51

Carlos Ayala schrieb:
> > - quorum: for each amendment to become approved, at least 80 % of eligible voters must cast
> > their votes; being 11 eligible voters, at least 9 should cast their votes;
> why is this 80 % ?
> Thats too high imho, our national rules e.g. demand 2/3 majority at most. I'd like to have this
> cleared _before_ anyone sets another deadline for the voting provess please.
>
> Maybe the 11 eligible voters should be named here and should be asked how they want to vote
> this

First of all, it doesn't require 80 % of eligible voters supporting an amendment; the 80 % stands for minimum turnout percentage, not for minimum supermajority percentage. If 11 votes -100 % turnout- cast their vote, the required supermajority would be 81 % -9 out of 11- but just because of the veto clause -up to 2 rejecting votes are allowed to pass an amendment; 3 or more rejecting votes cause the amendment to become rejected- and only if we register a 100 % turnout, lower turnout causes lower required supermajority -lowest one being with 9 cast votes at 63'63 % (even lower than the 2/3 supermajority you talked about)-.

- if 9 eligible voters cast their vote, at least 7 must support a concrete amendment to get it passed
- if 10 eligible voters cast their vote, at least 8 must support a concrete amendment to get it passed
- if 11 eligible voters cast their vote, at least 9 must support a concrete amendment to get it passed
- if turnout is lower than 80 %, the ballot for that amendment is simply ignored

After having explained this, I must point that this was agreed several months ago:

- voting rules were not approved by me, but by eligible voters' representatives -Andrew, Anton, Artemiusz, Roderick, Helmut, Ole, etc-
- voting rules were approved at a Stage One session, and published in this PPI list; I may search for the exact date of its publishing, if you want
- voting rules have also been public during the last two months in this wiki page
- during the last months, however, nobody has commented anything on
* any of representatives not truly being deciding on behalf of their pirate parties
* any of eligible voters not agreeing with agreed voting rules

I can prove all of these facts, hope this get any doubts cleared, and hope that there is no will of changing voting rules during the ballot :) Regards,

                                                              Carlos Ayala
                                                              ( Aiarakoa )

                                         Partido Pirata National Board's Chairman