[pp.int.general] Request - help with research

Pedro Carvalho pedro.carvalhofr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 17:08:33 CEST 2009

Yes, the 500.000 signatures must also be distributed by at least 1/3 of the
states (just like the founders). I'm not sure if the Federal District is
included in this states count. If it does, the number of states goes up to
27, and a third of that goes up to 9. Supposedly that`s meant to stop the
creation of regionalist parties (the law here says all parties must have a
"national characteristic").

The trick is that for a state to be considered in this 1/3 count, the amount
of signatures form that state must be 0,1% of its voters.

Summarizing: we must have enough signatures to cover 0,5% of the number of
national voters from last election (voting is obligatory in Brazil, that`s
why it`s a lot of people), *and* cover 0,1% of the voters form at least 1/3
of the states.