[pp.int.general] Protest certain musicians?

Nicolas Sahlqvist nicco77 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 08:40:50 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 7:02 AM, Christian Hufgard
<pp at christian-hufgard.de>wrote:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
> >>     Then I must be expressing my intention wrong. The freedom to use
> >>    everything everywhere everytime for free is a nice goal - but for me
> >>    pretty irrelevant.
> >
> > Christian is evidently opposed to the Pirate Party's central goal.
>
> http://www.piratenpartei.de/navigation/politik/unsere-ziele
>
> Thanks to god, that the german piraty party does not define free
> downloads as its primary goal but protecting the civil rights.
>
> I think you misunderstood us, taking the PPDE principles through Google
translate gave:

"We therefore call for the noncommercial copying, making available, storage
and use of works not only legalized but explicitly to promote, to improve
the general availability of information, knowledge and culture, since this
is an essential prerequisite for the social, technological and economic
advancement of our society."
http://www.piratenpartei.de/navigation/politik/urheberrecht-und-nicht-kommerzielle-vervielfaeltigung

It does not concern to it however

Let's compare this to the Uppsala Declaration:

"Copyright is commercial Copyright only regulates commercial activity.
(Local law usually defines "commercial activity" in sufficient detail.)
Non-commercial activity is never regulated by copyright law."
http://int.piratenpartei.de/Uppsala_Declaration

Also since PPSE inspired the formation of the other PP's and the Uppsala
Declaration, let's compare:

"A five years copyright term for commercial use is more than enough.
Non-commercial use should be free from day one."
http://www.piratpartiet.se/international/english

The principles all agree that non-commercial copying should be allowed in
contrast to your arguments about respect to the artist regardless if it is
commercial or non-commercial use of copyrighted content.

Maybe you were actually referring to commercial use of copyrighted content?
We do not support that you can buy pirated copies of music and movies on the
street like they do in Asia etc. nor any other commercial activity with
copyrighted content while the copyright period has not expired.

Furthermore, not even PPSE sees copyright as it's primary concern,
the citizen's rights issues (privacy / integrity) are ALWAYS on the top of
the agenda, i.e. they focus on the EU Telecom package (amendment 138/46
etc.), FRA and IPRED etc. from a privacy point of view mainly. The effects
on copyright are secondary as the blogs are full of arguments reflecting
this, currently on the one on top  of live.piratpartiet.se (for the next 15
minutes maybe?) is a blog debating against IPRED contains the argument:

"citizen's rights against the economic special interests"

Where "citizen's rights" is the price of intrusion of privacy that is caused
by "economic special interests", i.e the media industry's
failing business model. This clearly shows that the primary concern is
the citizen's rights rather then the copyright, i.e copyright comes
secondary.

- Nicolas
  PPI / PPSE member