[pp.int.general] pp.international.general Digest, Vol 45, Issue 41

Tom Stewart lughanda at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 15:39:27 CET 2010

> From: Mikulas.Ferjencik<Mikulas.Ferjencik at seznam.cz>
> Subject: Re: [pp.int.general] PPi ask Anonymous to stop Payback
> To: pp.international.general at lists.pirateweb.net
>
> I take Chom's side in the debate.

I'm not sure I do, but I'll tend to align against anyone who is derogatory
towards what should be their natural base support, in this case young and
committed activists seeking a effective praxis. Lest ye forget, the Pirate
Parties (or PPI) are a subset of the Pirate movement and culture more
broadly; a means that is still being tested for its efficacy.

Conventional politics is *a* tactic, with affordances and constraints, legal
or otherwise. Unfortunately, the impression I've got from the 'respectables'
here seems obsessively concentrated on 'lets differentiate ourselves as
serious grown ups against these damn anarchistic children'. As a legal
fig-leaf position, I'd have no argument, but the vehemence seems deeper.

What this affair illustrates to me would be the failure of Pirate Parties to
be able to use, channel, or even be *mildly relevant to*, the wide base of
disaffected people who share the base concerns and overall worldview of the
Pirate movement. I don't know if this is a contingent phenomenon, or whether
the archaic structure of party politics, and their derivatives, is a
demographic and conceptual misfit to newer forms of decentralized horizontal
organization.

Longstoryshort though: anyone whose explanation for complex events is
'ignorant kids', in my opinion, would be fencing themselves into a very
limited and infertile worldview, especially if they would consider
themselves leaders in any way of a political movement with a young
demographic catch.

Tom Stewart