[pp.int.general] what are the minimum true core Pirates principles? -Attempt to get a workable consensus-

Thomas Bruderer apophis at apophis.ch
Mon Sep 24 20:42:10 CEST 2012

Am 24.09.2012 16:50, schrieb Kenneth Peiruza:
> You are right, it isn't a core value of all PP's.
>
> I'd love to see how many of us are in favor of direct/liquid
> democracy. Probably we're all but 5 parties out of 50, considering a
> PP even something which is still only a facebook page.
>
> And as far as I know, 2 non direct-democracy driven parties are on its
> way to review its ideology: PP-UK and PP-SE.
>
> It might be interesting to vote about this in every PP around the
> globe, as this is the only point that makes us different from any
> other political movement around (the greens have assimilated all
> PP-SE's program), and lets us campaign for every hot topic in the
> public agenda.

Sorry but this mixes up a lot of the topics, and this might be the main
problem in this point. As Matthias alread laid out, it is not well
defined... I cannot talk about something which has been clearly defined:

It is pretty obvious that there is a wide varietey on what someone
understands when he is talking about direct democracy.

Liquid Democracy is not a classic approach to direct democracy, its
something new: these two should not be mixed up. Direct democracy is not
a subset nor a superset of Liquid democracy, its something sui generis.

Direct democracy is not all sunshine, it has it's downsides too. To get
a good balance will take time, and I am pretty sure we will learn with
time how to use tools like Liquid Democracy, but it won't solve problems
right away, it actually can cause problems, and some are learning this
now the hard way.

If you ask: Is PP-CH direct democratic? Yes of course, we do not have
delegates, we have a online voting tool which is legally binding, and
like all the pirates we are member driven.

But if you would ask: would you support a Liquid Democracy schema for
the governement, the answer would be as clearly: No, not all, this won't
help us to find the best solutions for our country. And as others
pointed out - just because some are pushing this topic - it does not
mean it is a valid point. I dont want to point fingers at all, but some
pirates in the movement have definitly a problem with accepting other
opinions on this topic.

Kind regards,
Thomas Bruderer,
President Pirate Party Switzerland